Gaslighting is a form of manipulation where someone makes you question your own judgement, or question reality. And it's especially common in relationships. Here are five phrases gaslighters love to use...
1. "That never happened." They'll do something wrong, and then try to convince you it never happened, or that you're making too much of it.
2. "You're too sensitive." If they try to minimize your feelings by telling you to toughen up, they might be gaslighting you.
3. "You're crazy." Over time, gaslighters can make their victims question their own sanity. They might even try to convince your friends and family that you're mentally unstable, just so they can use it to discredit you later.
4. "You have a terrible memory." That's another one designed to dismiss their own behavior, or trick you into thinking you're making too much of it.
5. "You should have known how I'd react." It's another way of trying to shift the blame away from themselves and onto you instead.